Fresh Spirit, Fresh Ideas for Fiction

Kansas Evening Sky 2013 How often do you see what some call Buttermilk skies? Traveling through the Kansas prairie, this sight amazed me. When we view new places, experience new adventures, breathe in the fresh air of a new environment, novelists are inspired to new and creative ideas. I’ve had this experience for the past few years, spending time in Sedona, Arizona in a townhouse rented in the lovely Village of Oak Creek surounded by amazing red rocks, many with names. Besides the rocks, the billions of stars and planets are in view in the black sky at night, unhindered by city lights, I’m touched by a way of life that I don’t experience at home. Though I love home and protect it with a powerhouse buglar alarm conncted to the police department, great neighbors who keep an eye on our property and a police department who checks our home numerous times in our absence, I’ve learned that our home offers us familiar coziness but also a sense of responsibility.  “I need to do this.” “I must do that.” Untold telephone calls cut into my day, music rehearsals take three of my evenings, and life can cover me like a bowl where I breathe in stale air.

View from porch Here in a Sedona suburb with Mountain time instead of Eastern Standard, I awake at 5 or 6 am and go to bed at 9 or 10 pm. (At home, I’m usually thinking sleep about 1 am) So I’m up early. I can walk out onto our deck and look at this amazing view. Left to right stands three major rock formations: Castle (you can see the turrets), bell, and courthouse rocks. I have hiked around bell and courthouse which is about 4-1/2 miles and for real hikers an easy to moderate walk.  To me, a “sit behind a computer and write many hours a day,” I thought I’d never make it. It took three hours and taught me a lesson. I can’t compete with he true hikers in my family.

View on the 9th hole But one thing I can do is golf. I’ve found it to be great exercise on the steep inclines of the course that weaves through the townhouses here. (My townhouse is between the 6th green and the 7th tee.) Walking is another good form of exercise. It’s a “huff and puff” walk for me, but I love it because it makes me healthier. Besides golfs and walks around the country club, I can sit on the deck (when I’m not writing) and edit, hand write new blog posts, or just enjoy the view. We have bird feeders out for hummingbirds, finches, etc., and they come for visits. This photo is the 9th tee. The dirt road leads down a steep hill where we are faced with two large sandtraps and the green tucked in the middle. The brush above as we tee off is another trap that loves to steal balls. But it’s all hard to resist.

Balloon over the valley. Sedona is a city filled with activity, great restaurants, all kinds of interesting shops and boutiques, the famous Pink Jeep rides, and what you see in this photo–Hot Air Balloon Rides. We enjoyed a ride here a year or so ago. It took us up on a dessert plain where we could view the surrounding mountains. We learned the history of some of the areas, many lived in by Indians many years ago, and much more. In this photo, you see only one of the three hot air balloons that followed the air current, the way they move, and ended up over our area in The Village, not too far from us. I think they landed on a golf course. Great space is needed for the landing and a place where the tracker car can get to them. It’s always an adventure.

But no matter what or where we land in life, finding new sights and experiencing new adventures can stir our imaginations, inspire us with fresh ideas, and on top of that, allow us to see more of this wonderful world. I’m inspired to write a novel set in Sedona. I have ideas. Now all I need is to find the time. Deadlines are always calling. . . and I am grateful for them.

Be Sociable, Share!

16 Comments

1. chris granville January 16, 2014 at 2:04 pm #

What are buttermilk skies?
    Also please have a God-blessed day
    Chris

2. Gail Gaymer Martin January 28, 2014 at 12:18 pm #

Buttermilk skies are the white bumpy clouds that you see in the photo that look like thick buttermilk spilled on a blue tabletop. The name became famous many years ago when Hoagie Carmichael sang the song – proabably wrote it too – called Buttermild Skies. It says, “I’m keeping my eyes peeled on you. What’s the good word tonight. It is gonna be cloudy or bright.” :-)

3. sports management career March 18, 2014 at 5:52 am #

A individual that wishes being called well educated must seek out the top courses that are taught in universities throughout the country.

Some teams develop a culture of bad sportsmanship across the confrontational personality
    with the coach. Modern day scouts are getting to be more and more dependent on computer programs to assist
    and assist within the evaluation of talent being scouted.

Here is my web blog sports management career

4. how much food should a prepper have March 19, 2014 at 3:15 am #

There’s certainly a great deal tto know about this topic.
    I like all the points you have made.

5. Henrietta March 28, 2014 at 11:46 am #

Asking questions are actually good thing if you
    are not understanding something fully, but this paragraph provides good understanding even.

Also visit my page – Free Instagram Followers, Henrietta,

6. Learn more April 4, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

ve been dreaming about, improve your credibility, or start
    new career path. Athletics isn’t the first contact and elegant
    birds, in fact, started in 2005 to get in the professional sports field, IAAF East Asia officially signed on as
    a strategic partner and sole equipment manufacturers and sponsors.
    However, there was clearly been much criticism
    of modded players being used online, giving less honest
    players a grossly unfair advantage.

Look into my web page: Learn more

7. youtube.com April 4, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

Pandoras Box may furthermore possibly be substantially complex should you are not excellent
    applying this. Most of the time the client is not aware of
    these habits, and it requires some real work on my part just to convince them that they exist in the first place.
    These methods of attraction are certainly not rational.

Look into my web blog … Christian Hudson (youtube.com)

8. vitiligo news 2014 April 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?

There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content.
    Please let me know. Thanks

Also visit my website … vitiligo news 2014

9. Serena April 14, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

Their consumption could be safer when compared with the
    traditional and normal cigarettes but they’re not a completely safe alternative.
    However, the situation has protective elements
    to ensure that your NJOY doesn’t become accidentally activated.
    Evolving is questions regarding are smokeless cigarette flavors legal for smokers all over the world.

10. ego electronic cigarette kit April 16, 2014 at 9:59 am #

Outstanding post however , I was wanting to know
    if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be
    very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
    Many thanks!

11. best e-cigarettes April 21, 2014 at 6:52 am #

Justt desire to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness inn your
    post is just spectacular and i could assume you’re ann expert on thiss subject.
    Fine with your permission allow me to grab your fesed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifyikng work.

Look into my site best e-cigarettes

12. tiny.cc April 26, 2014 at 12:29 pm #

Yes! Finally someone writes about prefixes.

My web-site: .22 ammo for sale; tiny.cc,

13. Don’t be afraid to ask what will be inspected and what are the most common problem
    areas. If you don’t deal with the continual mold issue inside your home or office, the result can be much worse.
    They also produce mycotoxins which may lead to neurological
    problems.

14. best E-cigarettes May 1, 2014 at 3:44 am #

Unquestionably consider that which you said. Your
    favorite reason appeared to bbe on the web the easiest thing
    to understand of. I say to you, I definitely get irked at the same time as folks think about
    wolrries that they plainly do not recognise about.

You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also outlined out the whole thing wifh no need side effect , folks could take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. Thank you

Feel free to surf to my webpage best E-cigarettes

15. wood Basement stairs May 2, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

This has encouraged the manufacturers to find a reliable
    solution to help consumers make the best possible use
    of the product they acquire. Household products such as vegetable oil and castile soap can be combined with vinegar to clean wood decks naturally as well.
    By hiring the services of a mold remediation expert, home
    and business owners can benefit from many advantages not afforded otherwise.

16. dr oz green coffee weight loss show May 6, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

If some one wants expert vierw regarding running a blog then i propose him/her tto pay a visit this webpage, Keep up the nice work.