Strengthen a Character with a Wound – Guest Post from Beth Vogt

Today the post on Strenthening a Character with a Wound is from author Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” A nonfiction writer and editor who said she’d never write fiction, Beth is now a novelist with Howard Books. She enjoys writing inspirational contemporary romance because she believes there’s more to happily-ever-after than the fairy tales tell us.

So let’s hear what Beth has to say about Strengthen a Character with a Wound

A few months ago, I had back surgery. The finishing touch to the neurosurgeon’s efforts? Nine staples in my lower back. I have a scar, but since the surgery was successful, you’ll hear no complaints from me.

Unless I told someone the details of my surgery – or showed them my scar – they wouldn’t know about my “back story.” I know because I’m affected by it every day. There are things I can’t do anymore – Goodbye, Runner Girl! – and there are things I have to do differently.

We all experience physical injuries from scraped knees to defective hearts. But what about the other injuries we experience – unseen emotional wounds that affect us just as much, if not more, than a broken leg or diagnosis of cancer?

Make Him Limp
Whenever I see someone limping, I always wonder what happened to cause that person to limp? There’s a reason – a story – behind the missteps.

As a writer, you don’t just know why your character limps – you’re the one who made him limp. How? By taking the time to develop his backstory, which includes a specific Dark Moment in his past that wounded him emotionally and now influences how he interacts with others and with God. I think of this as a “heart limp.”

Let’s unpack this for a moment with an example:

In my latest novel Somebody Like You, my main character’s Dark Moment was when his twin brother walked away from him – joining the military after high school instead of sticking with their plan to go to college. This event was the culmination of a number of confrontations between the brothers that led to years of estrangement.

This Dark Moment creates an emotional wound in my character – a “heart limp.”
The Wound is one of betrayal. From this Wound comes a Lie and a Fear.
The Lie is that people you love will betray you.
The Fear is that he is afraid to love others in a close, intimate way because he doesn’t want to be hurt again (betrayed again).

Two Tips to Remember
Here are two things to remember when you craft a character’s Wound:
1. Focus on one specific painful, life-altering moment for your character – not something vague like “she had a bad relationship with her mom.”
2. Ask yourself: How would my character’s Wound, Lie and Fear affect how they interact with people they love and with God?”

When we take the time to develop these invisible Wounds for our fictional characters, our story deepens and becomes more compelling. We know why our hero and heroine do the things they do and say the things they say – and we also get to write a stronger story because we better understand how their Wounds are healed.

How have you strengthened your main characters with a Wound?

Someone Like You - Beth Yogt

Somebody Like You:

In this beautifully rendered, affecting novel, a young widow’s world is shattered when she meets her late husband’s identical twin—and finds herself caught between honoring her husband’s memory and falling in love with his reflection.
Connect with Beth on her http://www.bethvogt.com/ or check out her blog on quotes, In Others’ Words.
Her books are available at online bookstores and in stores where all books are sold.

Be Sociable, Share!

11 Comments

1. Alena Wendall May 6, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

Beth/Gail,

Love the “heart limp” what an accurate picture for our characters but especially our lives.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Alena

• Beth K. Vogt May 6, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

Thanks, Alena: I think most people can understand the concept of a “heart limp” — we all have them.

2. Davalynn Spencer May 6, 2014 at 10:42 pm #

Great post, Beth. I recently added a ‘wound’ to the heroine in my WIP – a limp, in fact. But I like the way you carry it farther with the lie and the fear. Great depth to add to a character!

The premise for “Somebody” sounds intriguing. What a dilemma to have a mirror image of your deceased husband. Seems like you’d be second guessing yourself all the time. Great concept!

• Beth K. Vogt May 6, 2014 at 10:49 pm #

Hi, Davalynn:
      How intriguing that you gave your heroine an actual limp!
      I learned about the importance of the Wound, Lie, and Fear from My Book Therapy, author Susan May Warren’s writing community. These elements have helped me develop deeper characters.
      And yes, writing Somebody Like You was challenging — and fun!

3. cope with anxiety naturally July 3, 2014 at 11:44 pm #

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this web page, for the reason that i
    wish for enjoyment, as this this site conations actually nice
    funny material too.

4. anxietyattackinfo.com July 17, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

It can interfere wth absorption of some other medications, but nnot the
    psychotropics or proton pump inhibitors. Heart rate variability biofeedback is a wonderful feel good tool which teaches us to
    manage tthe time between heart beats. Talk to
    a friend, your self or a pet, it cluld even be a stuffed animal.

my page; natural wways to deal with anxiety attacks; anxietyattackinfo.com,

5. cheap storage units in brooklyn ny August 29, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

It is very imperative that the spaces left with the
    boxes should be closed with other things so that the furniture
    wouldn’t have a room to move while been moves about. Ask questions to get
    an accurate assessment of the move and cost. Contact companies you do business with
    approximately four weeks before you move.

Feel free to surf to my blog post; cheap storage units in brooklyn ny

6. yellow bandage dress ebay September 14, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

They are a top choice for many women for the height boost and slimming
    effects. The higher the carat of gold, the
    more yellow, richer and golden the gold ring design will
    appear. It won’t be long before you can move up into the world and
    have these same people, schools and agencies calling you to set up glamour photography or fashion photography
    sessions to meet their needs and purposes.

Feel free to visit my webpage yellow bandage dress ebay

7. bandage white dress knee length September 14, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

Relating to the nights typically the vernal equinox,Cheap Jordans
    free airline Wing office staff and also American president can be involved in a house game associated
    with on-line poker, nevertheless retain buying abandoned by many different downturn. The woman has her hand on her face, and that face is lined with worry.

Do you want to look your best and want the best bridal
    wear for yourself.

Here is my web page bandage white dress knee length

8. Career September 30, 2014 at 5:24 pm #

He/She is going to prepare and maintain all monetary transactions with SAP consistent with group
    accounting insurance policies and Generally Accepted Ideas-GAAP.

9. retirement planning October 5, 2014 at 9:22 pm #

Our funding companions have been very supportive
    of development throughout robust economic instances, believing as we do that purchasing
    on the right time and promoting at the right time are essential to
    realizing a great return on an investment. While the software implementation was good from a technical
    standpoint, I did not have full user purchase-in to the new course
    of or software program. What is your most memorable enterprise expertise?:
    Being part of a workforce elevating fairness
    for investment. Broadridge Performance Reporting permits investment managers to obtain every
    day efficiency calculations which can be customizable to their needs.
    Broadridge employs roughly 6,seven-hundred full-time
    associates in 14 international locations.